Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ok, Let's do this...

Sorry about earlier, it was an extremely emotional night and I needed to find a good way to put it. I have been working in the clinic for two weeks now, which doesn't seem like a lot becuase its gone by so fast, and it has been an unreal experience. The hospitals here are nothing like North American hospitals. The hospitals are filty, crowded, have stray dogs walking through the halls, and supplies are limited. Earlier this week I saw a man who had almost lost his thumb because a rock had fallen on it. The only thing that they could do for the poor man was rinse the wound off with alcohol and wrap it with gauze. There were no shots to dull the pain, just pure alcohol and hopefully they were able to prescribe him some antibiotics (and hopefully he could afford them).

The doctor I shadowed last night and I got into a deep talk about the status of heathcare in Peru and how things work around here. The most shocking thing for me was that they have no blood stores. None. Peruvians are scared of giving blood and many of them don't donate for religious reasons. While working last night, I witnessed a few women who had come in due to severe pain and were profusely bleeding because of miscarriages. They had the women hooked up to saline but were not given any blood to refresh their bodies from how much they had lost. If blood is in dire need only family members will offer to donate as much as 1 liter, which is not nearly as much as most women lose. Blood transfusions are not an option here. Most of the Ayacucho is O positive in blood type so it would be easy to store blood because everyones is the same.

Dr. Paul, the head gyno, also told me that he wants to get his Masters in America, particularly Florida ( he wants to take his three kids to see Mickey and Minne at Disneyworld :p ). Med school in Peru is about five years at the University from what I could understand when we were talking, which doesn't seem like much by North American standards. He was asking about the kind of technology that they have in the US, and he said that it must be easier to be a doctor in the US which I would have to agree. They have to work with what they got which isn't much and the poor condition of the clinics is really taking a toll on me.

Right now its a good month in Ayacucho because there are some American doctors here offering free check ups, surguries, and mental health evaluations to any one that needs/wants it. There are long lines waiting as early as five in the morning for the help of these professionals. Well, thats all I have for now. Hopefully I will give you guys a happier story after this weekend! I am headed to Macchu Picchu and we are leaving early so that we will get to see the sunrise at the ruins. It will be a nice mental break. I love you all and miss you! Please write your names on the end your comments! I love getting them and I am curious as to who is following me! Ciao!
-Caity

No comments: